Sunday, November 25, 2007

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels

I had heard about Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels from Trader Joe's for a while now, and the thought really intrigued me. So yesterday afternoon, I cruised down I-95 to Columbia and went to the newly-opened Trader Joe's. From where I live, it's soooo much easier to go to anyplace in Columbia than anyplace in Towson, and they have a lot of the same stores (Nordstroms, Borders, Old Navy, TJs). The new store is in a complex with the relocated Best Buy, Costco, Lowes and some golf store. The layout of the complex is strange, but at least there's tons of easy parking, unlike at the Towson TJs.

It took a bit of looking to fund the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels but there they were, perched along with the rest of the candy above the frozen foods. The photo looked great and the sea salt is from the Dead Sea... When I tried them, the first taste was overwhelmingly chocolatey, which was not what I expected. The caramel is a soft center and not very forward tasting, sort of an afterthought. The salt crystals pop up in surprising bursts, which brings another depth of flavour. But it was the chocolate that was the major flavour, and not one that I really wanted. I am not a huge choccy fan, much to the horror of my siblings.
I think that what I should have gotten, and was probably looking for was Fleur de Sel Caramels, without chocolate. Maybe next time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you had the ones from Franz? So good.

Anonymous said...

You are so right about Columbia being so convieniant! I live in Towson, and the other day we went down to check out the new Costco. It wasn't but a ten minute drive from I-395. And plenty of parking too, although our Nordstrom is bigger, but I love the Columbia Mall. And there are plenty of sushi places there too.

Cakespy said...

Oh, yum. I love fleur de sel caramels, and they might be a better choice for a not-huge chocolate fan. You might also want to try my newest favorite, chipotle caramels by Bequet Confections.

Anonymous said...

There's a Costco in Columbia? I had no idea.

John said...

Fairfax, you are just about to prompt me to drive to TJ's right this very second! If I hadn't hidden my debit card (to keep me from using it, of course), I'd be SO there! But I'd be going to the one in Towson 'cuz I live, like, ten minutes away from it.

Meghan said...

you've got to try the ones from Williams Sonoma.... those are the perfect blend and they have sea salt on top...