Saturday, August 11, 2007

Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob

My friend, Bill Cole, who's running for the City Council in our district, came by this evening for a "stoop" meet and greet with some of my neighbours... and a film crew. Sue Chen out of San Francisco, is doing a documentary on people younger than 35 running for political office.

As they were filming, an A-rabber trotted by and the looks on Sue and her cameraman's faces were priceless. He didn't get a shot, but a little while later I heard them coming back, so he got the shot. I do my best to buy from these guys and so wandered over to get some corn. Four ears for $1.00. He tossed in an extra ear, so I gave him an extra dollar for the pony.
I thought that I could probably oven roast it, so googled recipes, which turned out to be easy-peasy. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Shuck the ears, but leave the husks attached. Remove the silk, cover the ears with butter and salt and pull up the husks! I tied a bit of extra husk around the ear to keep it wrapped up. Some recipes say to just roast without even removing the silk, but I would hate to pick it off strand by strand when it was hot. Roast either directly on the rack or on a pan for 20-30 minutes.
The verdict? Excellent, simple and delicious! With the time it takes to boil water and then cook the corn, you can roast it in the oven. You could add anything you wanted to this to tailor it to your own taste, but to me, plain and simple's the winner!

3 comments:

roopa said...

This is always how I make corn at home (I don't have a grill). I never ever boil. I just take off a few of the outer layers of husk and trim the tops and stick them on the oven rack, turning every 8 minutes or so (I put my oven at 400). I've even done this in the toaster oven (like I did this afternoon) so I don't have to heat up the whole house.

Anonymous said...

I just read about the arabber's stable being closed in this article.

I was thinking that it might mean the end of the arabbers but I guess not.

Marginal Foodie said...

Great blog.

I assumed arabbers were just part of Baltimore's history; I had no idea they were still around. I'm delighted to see this local food tradition live on, though honestly I'm amazed they can still make a living. Thanks.

Best,
Marginal Foodie
marginalfoodie.blogspot.com